Benefits of Placenta Medicine
The benefits of consuming your placenta are endless! Did you know that, other than camels, humans are the only mammal that doesn’t consume their placenta?
- Contains your own natural hormones
- Is perfectly made by you, for you
- Balances your system
- Replenishes depleted iron
- Gives you more energy
- Lessens postpartum bleeding
- Has been shown to increase milk production
- Helps you to have a happier postpartum period by equalizing the quickly reduced hormonal state of your physical body
- Helps to hasten the return of your uterus to its pre-pregnancy state through the oxytocin contained in your encapsulated placenta.
- Can also be helpful during your monthly cycle, menopause, for general mood swings, periods of major life transition, etc. if properly stored for later use.
- Click here for other articles & info about placentas.
The most widely noted benefit of placenta consumption is how it helps with postpartum depression, or prevents it all together.
The placenta has very high levels of some vitamins, such as B6. This is the one that helps out with postpartum depression. The mother can reclaim these vitamins by ingesting her placenta.
During pregnancy, the placenta takes over making CRH, a corticotrophin-releasing hormone, normally secreted by the hypothalamus, and well-known to be a stress reducer. During the last trimester of pregnancy, the placenta secretes the highest levels of CRH, also pouring great quantities into the mother’s bloodstream. With so much CRH being produced by the placenta, the hypothalamus actually shuts down its production. After the delivery of the placenta, the mother is sort of going “cold turkey” as the placenta is expelled in an instant. Now the hypothalamus has to compensate for the now low levels of CRH and begin secreting CRH again on its own again. This does not always happen easily or immediately, which results in the mother having much lower than average levels of CRH, thus triggering depression. A reasonable explanation for postpartum depression and an obvious but overlooked solution.
Modes of Consumption (note – you do not have to choose one method of consumption. You could use part of your placenta for smoothies, and the rest for encapsulation. Part for encapsulation and the rest for a tincture. etc)
- Raw: The placenta is most beneficial when consumed raw. Some mothers cut off a small chunk of placenta immediately after birth and hold it in their mouths. Others have their partner, doula or friend prepare them a smoothie immediately after birth, or have a placenta preparation provider prepare them smoothies.
- Encapsulation: Not quite as potent as raw consumption, but still very powerful. Your placenta will be dehydrated, ground, and encapsulated. You will start with a general doseage and then gradually reduce. Self regulation is key and doseage may be increased/decreased as needed. Capsules keep indefinitely if stored in the freezer and then used as needed (after the first few weeks of general dosage) for help with milk supply, mood swings, and times of transition. Capsules can also be used during your monthly cycle and menopause.
- Tincture: The tincture is more subtle, is homeopathic and captures the energy and essence of the placenta. Tincture can be used on an as needed basis for mama, and is also beneficial when given to the baby to help with teething, overall crankiness, times of growth spurts, big transitions, etc.
- Chocolates/Raw Truffles: Think about how we crave chocolate when we are stressed. High quality chocolate contains minerals and endorphins, as does the placenta itself – so you are getting a double dose! We also add a bit of cayenne pepper – the pepper aids the vascular system opening, which means quicker absorption for the placenta magic.
Please click here to read more about our placenta preparation services.